Sunday 26 January 2014

BedFest

Bedfest is over, ending with a muddled bang in the form of 24 Hour Play, to which I contributed a scene; this means that, if one includes Project X, four pieces of my writing were performed in Bedlam over the last week and a piece of my writing was performed every day of the festival, except for Monday.

Rob and Roberta went very well- the audience laughed, gasped and even cried at one point, when Adam Butler did his best impression of Bambi in the meadow. Even my mother, whose always has a somewhat tense relationship with my writing, due to copious levels of violence, seemed to genuinely enjoy it. She came back and watched the second performance, which wasn't the original plan, and had nothing but praise for the cast and the script, so I'm just gonna go ahead and assume she was being genuine when she complimented her, although I do doubt that she would have told me had she loathed it.
On the Wasting Candles was similarly met with a lot of enthusiasm, a few laughs and even a rather bloodthirsty roar of approval when Ailish George was dragged off to be broken down to make candles- it was kind of like being at a Gladiatorial games, with a universal thumbs down coming from the punters. Still, no one could say it wasn't entertaining, which is probably how they justified the original gladiatorial games as well.
24 Hour Play was...esoteric. In the end, it was exactly what you'd expect to get if you put a bunch of tired students in a room and told them to write one scene of what is meant to be a continuous narrative, which is to say very funny, if not always deliberately so. Still, I've participated in a 24 hour play every single year of my university career, and I'm glad I continued that tradition.

Sadly, I didn't get to see my mum for too long while she was up, due to various rehearsals and othersuch commitments. She didn't even get to clean my flat, as I'd done it before she arrived (she was very flattered by this, recognising the hours of toil and risk of infection this must have entailed). However, she did get to explain to me that she hates the phrase 'I'm proud of you' as it implies that I somehow have to try and impress her and besides she doesn't feel that she should be proud of someone else' achievements, but that, were she a different kind of person, she would be proud of me. Not gonna lie, I cried a little at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment