Friday 21 February 2014

Vainglorious Bastard Part 2

The Dionysia were performed last night: I was a part of Relief Theatre's contribution, Keep it up Sisyphus, written and directed by James Woe, who came to fame playing the Starscream to my Megatron in that one play where I was Robbie Coltrane. There were awards at the end of The Dionysia and while, sadly, we didn't win the big prize, Eric (the Scooby Doo to my Daphne) got Best Actor and I nabbed Best Other Greek Chorus (yes, I was a one-man chorus and yes, there is a joke in Pushing Daisies about that). This award was apparently created specifically for me, which makes it doubly as flattering and me even more prone to gush, Sally Fields style, "you like me! You really like me!". But, of course, I was too cool to actually show up for the awards show and instead sent a native Scotsman in my place to talk about the misrepresentation of his people.
It's actually kind of cool that I won an award for this because with Keep It Sisyphus I achieve the Best Supporting Actor quadrant. This consists of having played someone caught up in World War 2(just look at Academy Award winners/nominees Christoph Waltz and Ralph Fiennes), a pedophile (which I did in Spring Awakening- mirroring Stanley Tucci and Mo'nique),

a prostitute in Good Person of Szechuan (Mira Sorvino and Shirley Jones)


and a Woody Allen character in Death/God (Michael Caine, Diane Wiest, Mira Sorvino, Penelope Cruz, Martin Landau, Jennifer Tilly, Maureen Stapleton, Mariel Hemingway, Judy Davis, Diane Wiest again, the list goes on...)
The same as with Daphne in the pantomime, this could very realistically be my final role on the Bedlam stage, and I'd be more than fine with that- Greek Chorus was sassy, condescending and entirely oblivious to what was going on around him. I didn't even have to really act.
Doesn't he know there's a war on?

No comments:

Post a Comment