Wednesday 9 October 2013

And I said "What About Breakfast at Poppy's?"

I just passed an enjoyable ninety minutes playing table tennis with Jari and Daniel, and this made me nostalgic for my days as a score board while Adrian beat Jason; I'm finding a lot of things make me nostalgic right now- I could've sworn I saw a poster advising me to vote for Remy Chadwick as my NUS Representative the other day, and I no longer find Snax as appetising, having discovered the joys of Hot Poppy's with Charlotte.
I'll be honest: Australia feels a long time ago to me now. I'm still running into people I haven't seen since I left (and getting very encouraging comments about my hair), and it's weird to answer all their questions about how my year abroad was when it seems to me that that was a different time of my life. It's like if they asked me how Primary School was.
I understand that this is incredibly self-pitying and that, frankly, if this is all I have to worry about, I'm doing pretty great; but I don't like how easily my brain begins to fog past events even when they were one of the most joyous experiences I've ever had.
But I guess this can't be helped.

In other news, my dissertation is coming along quite well: I've made contact with BLoGS and am, overall, sensing enthusiasm to be involved in the project, which is so relieving. I've always viewed BLoGS as one of my few real failings, as I underwent a (completely unnecessary, I now see) self-imposed exile from the group after Bob, when I could've been reaching and making new friends since first year, if I'd just had more wiles.

I went to the careers fair yesterday, and found it quite disturbing: lots of the businesses there simply would not take me on, due to my choice of degree/area of interest and many of the graduate management schemes are not only starting very soon, but are also only taking on a pitifully minute number of graduates, and I now feel I've lost plan B even before I formulated it.
However, I did find that I am eligible to do a one-year Teacher conversion course, and that Esmond isn't, which made me really happy in an extremely spiteful kind of way (Henriette said I'm allowed a little bit of spite, now and then).

No comments:

Post a Comment