Friday 30 August 2013

To Return

I returned to Edinburgh very briefly- pretty much for just one day, in fact- this week. I was originally going to keep this a secret, simply because I couldn't see everyone and thus thought that seeing no one would be better; this plan came acropper when Esmond discovered me in the library, furtively charging my phone. He told me there was a leaving do that evening, and I originally thought it would be for someone whom I could afford to miss- when it transpired it was for Rosie, who I didn't even know was leaving, I felt I wanted to say goodbye. And so, I came upon the Bedlam social scene once again.
Unsurprisingly, people to whom I had nothing to say before, I had nothing to say to now, after we hadn't even been in peripheral contact for a year. I didn't really care, to be honest (this in itself is quite a success as at one point I would've been mortified at their apathy towards me- now, I know better than to pay mind to those whom I don't interest and, frankly, don't interest me). But there were people there whom I had genuinely missed, and to see them again was a delight. I'm not going to make lists of who was in which category, because I don't see how it will do any good, but I imagine that those who attended the party and who also read this blog- a population of around two, I estimate- can categorise themselves.

My reason for going up was to scope out my new digs; I found them to be pleasant, well-situated, and, most crucially, BIG. My last Edinburgh flat is best described as 'shoe-box', so it is nice to have enough space to open the oven all the way (oh, how I wish this were hyperbole). Here are some pictures of my new room:


I also saw Esmond's new accommodation, and I feel that, after having spent the majority of our sophomore meet-ups at his, we will be resorting to our first-year habit of hanging at mine this year, for the simple matter that he is about a half-hour from the university, whereas I am a mere ten minutes. But, Esmond (and Grace and Rachael and Carolyn)'s flat is lovely, and I certainly won't begrudge it if we do end up there more often.

And finally, I feel I ought to address the question of my feelings upon returning to Edinburgh; anxiety, dread, panic, confusion, nostalgia and, finally, relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment