Friday 2 January 2015

2015 Resolutions (Accountability Index Coming in December)

  • GO OUTSIDE EVERY DAY: I am ashamed to say that this will take quite a change in my lifestyle to accomplish, but the truth is I can spend entire 48 hour periods without stepping outside my hermetically sealed bubble of a room. But I will do this no longer. I am going to spend at least half-an-hour per day not in my room, and work doesn't count.  
  • WRITE SOMETHING EVERY DAY: This is one I've set myself every year since about the time I first went to Uni. I've never kept to it, but I like to subscribe to Henriette Skinnes' theory that you have to make the same mistake or fail at the same goal a certain number of times before you manage to finally conquer it and hey, maybe this year will be that year. JUST TO CLARIFY: I count 'writing something' as something creative totalling five or more pages- this can be a whole script, a scene of a larger play or a chapter of a prose story (or even an entire prose novel if I can*), but it has to be complete. No more starting non-starters. This seems like a scary amount to me, but then I just knocked out a five page script in, like, an hour and I can definitely spare an hour a day to try and pursue this craft I love.
  • GET A TATOO: I've always kind of assumed I'd end up with a tatoo at some point and then I realised that I'd actually need to get one if I wanted that to happen. You don't just wake up with them**. I've had an idea for a design for a while and I might use that or I might go with something else. I also don't know where I'll get it- my mum, who has a butterfly on her back like someone with an interesting story to tell or Ted Mosby.
  • GO SKYDIVING: This is the one I'm least certain I'll do- not due to cowardice, as I've been reliably informed that skydving is much more comfortable and pleasant than bungee jumping, which I've already done- but Skydiving is quite expensive and, despite my job, I am quite strapped for cash right now. However, it's not like I never splash for luxuries and so maybe I'll just have to invest in this one really cool experience and then eat the crappy bread from Carrefour for a while.
  • VISIT AMERICA: Yet again, due to money, this one will almost certainly not happen. A man can dream, though. Honestly, this might have to be a roll-on dream that I just hold on to and big up to unbelievable and inconceivable levels so that when, years later, I finally do achieve it it has no choice but to be a massive disappointment like that House episode where it finally was lupus. In fact, I'm only including it on my 2015 list because Jason is going to be moving to Virginia in September and so, with Kristen having already abandoned ship from Long Island to London, my circle of friends around Manhattan will be reduced to just Emma (who is singularly splendid on her own, but does objectively provide fewer points of contact than three people). So, it'd probably be wiser to go in the first half of the year before Neato flies the coop- maybe I can swing it, but I'm fully expecting to not score great on either of these last two come the end of 2015, but that's OK because at least I'm gonna try.   
And so, that's five. Quite a few, but, hey, look at all the shit that went down in 2014: gotta top that somehow.
* I most definitely can't.
** Lots of people, in fact, do. Alcohol and all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment