Monday 7 July 2014

Graduation

I was originally planning not to write about this, because academics have really not been the focus of my uni career and also I find the entire process quite tedious. However, I've reasoned that, in the future, I'll want to remember what happened around this time, and so for posterity's sake, here we go.

I didn't actually attend my graduation ceremony, because it cost a lot of money to rent the robe and also aforementioned tedium. I was given the option to stream the ceremony online, which I opted not to do and instead spent the morning entertaining a ten-month-old baby. Later, I went to the after-graduation party, where I got to meet the parents of people whom I know only very slightly and failed to speak to any of my professors, because, once again, I wasn't the most academic of students. It was a swelteringly hot day, most of the students were dressed in all black and they were handing out free alcohol; lightheadedness ensued. There were some boring speeches from heads of subjects whiched seemed to be entirely about them and when they graduated and I refused to clap at the end because I will not be an enabler to narcissism. Ahem.
The event was really more for families and I was there alone: I managed to make some of my classmates' parents jealous because I have an offer of 'proper work' (their phrase, not mine) starting soon. My family weren't there, and I wasn't wearing a robe so a fair few people presumed I hadn't passed the course; I took some photos with my classmates and then left.

The graduation ball was last night, and yet again I didn't attend due to monetary issues, however, at the last minute a shift working in Amphion that night opened up, so I took it and managed to taste whatever of the dinner got on my hands and see whatever of the various activities got in my way as I was carrying boxes.
The ball was also the last time I got to see Rose, which is a great shame because she's the originator of one of the most popular Quotes of the Year that I've ever documented.

We're currently pitching around a talk show based on the catchphrase 'You're Not Human'.
In all seriousness, though, she was funny, charming and I'm so glad Becky could pick up the courage to talk to her, so I could become her friend by proxy. I'll miss you, Rose; it was so much fun knowing you.

Another person to whom I said my final farewell this week was Grace. We went to get ice cream together, and I may have eaten too much, but it was still so much fun. Grace doesn't like photos, so just imagine the cup below was her, and that this photo is in fact heartwarming.
Yes, it was full of ice cream and yes, I ate the entire thing and yes, I am single. 
Grace is another friend who I met through someone else- in this case, her flatmates. But, yet again, she became very important to me, not least because she coached me for my British Council interview. Goodbye, Grace; you'll always be my little Salt Girl.

A friend who I made all on my own was Emma, who hasn't left yet but it's very unlikely that I will see again for a long time. We had lunch this afternoon, along with Rik, and it was delightful- Emma and I, despite having known each other since Panto in second year, didn't really become friends until Panto this year, but I'm still going to feel it when she leaves. She was one of the title characters in Rob and Roberta, and thrived in what was a very thankless role. She's one of my favourite performers that I know and also just a good friend; goodbye, Emma.

And, finally, I've just come back from saying goodbye to Henriette. I've known Henriette since first year, and I actually cannot put into words how much she has helped me, and how responsible she is for the person I am now. I know that sounds gushing, but she talked some sense into me at a point in my life when I genuinely believe I could've spiralled into anger and become a much worse human being. She guided me, even when I resisted the change and tried to claim I was fine the way I was; she was never smug or condescending, she merely showed me that I was only hurting myself with my ways. I have thus bestowed upon her the title of 'Guru'. Thank you, Henriette; thank you so much.

This has been a rather sappy post with a lot of emotions and gushing, and I'm afraid the next post won't be much better, as it'll most likely be on the anniversary of my leaving Australia (and the beginning of this blog). I'll try and balance it out now with a most shocking announcement: due to the number of folk leaving my life for an indeterminate and probably quite lengthy amount of time, I've decided to start following select friends on Facebook again.
Dun dun dun.

No comments:

Post a Comment